We’re busy taking advantage of our lovely winter weather in the garden. We’re eating curly and Ethiopian kale, mustard greens, lettuces, peppers; collards are just about ready and we’ve just harvested some purple yams. We’ve recently transplanted young lacinato and Portuguese kale plants as well as broccoli. More seeds have been started and we’re busy planning what’s next (a butterfly garden!).
We continue to offer yoga in the garden – standing poises only, wear good shoes. Join us at 9:30am on the following Saturdays:
- February 16
- February 23
- March 23
- March 30
- April 20
- April 27
Do you have leaves? We’ll take them! This is the time of year that we’re busy collecting leaves for our compost operation. We’re also collecting veggie scraps for our compost, so if you’d like to keep your compost materials out of the landfill, please bring to our garden and we’ll make dirt!
- Please feel free to bring leaves on Saturdays, 9am – 11am.
- Veggie and fruit scraps, coffee grounds, eggshells can be deposited in the white bucket in front of our garden labeled SHCG Compost anytime, or larger deposits can be brought by Saturdays 9am – 11am.
- We’ve been composting and making our own dirt for years, but just recently joined the MakeSoil movement as they expand across the Tampa Bay Area. Learn more about MakeSoil.
Visit us and see how we’re growing – we can always use help! Seminole Heights Community Gardens is open for visitors on Saturdays, 9am – 11am. Our address is 6114 River Terrace in Tampa, FL. Parking is available on the street.
We look forward to meeting you!
It was a fantastic afternoon in the garden for the 2nd Annual Seminole Heights Garden Tour. The weather behaved, the plants behaved, and we had more than 70 people visit our little garden.
Thank you to all the garden members who helped prepare, and then show off our garden, and thank you to everyone who visited!
We are so excited about our new sign, featuring our logo designed by Madeline Baker. A huge thank you to member and past president Denise Moore for making this happen!
The Seminole Heights Garden Tour is coming up fast – have you purchased your tickets yet?
We hope you do, so you can visit us on Sunday, October 28th.
Of course it is, technically, but these 90 degree days make it a little tough to do our fall planting. But plant we must – and here’s a quick rundown of everything else that’s happening this month:
- Sat. 10/13 – no yoga this day, but happily Children in the Garden will run 10-10:30am
- Tues. 10/16 – monthly garden meeting will start promptly at 6:30pm, at the Seminole Heights Branch of the library (address in the calendar>>)
- Sat. 10/20 – we’re gardening, and yoga is at 9:30am
- Sat. 10/27 – gardening, yoga at 9:30am and last minute tidying of the garden because…
- Sun. 10/28 – We’re a stop on the Seminole Heights Garden Tour! This is one of the rare times when we’re open on a Sunday. Get a ticket for the tour and come see how we’ve grown. Tour is from 1 – 5pm.
Stop by and say hello!
We’re holding this month’s meeting at The Wine Bar Cafe, at 6428 North Florida Avenue. The meeting starts at 6:30pm, but get there a little early because we’re told that the cafe is planning a free wine and cheese tasting on Tuesday.
See you there!